My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Michelangelo Merisi, also known as “Caravaggio” was born in 1573 and went to Rome when he was 15-years old.
About his style:
1. In his self-portrait the painter uses a clever play of mirrors that multiply his body while a lateral lighting is shimmer velvet costume and armor shine a thousand lights.
2. The use of warm colors only: cool tones disappear leaving room for a variety of crimson, ocher, sienna land and shadow which the painter is shimmer shades on funds darker.
3. The play of light reflecting mirror that will prefigure the great clear-obscure of the following years.
4. The use of a line engraved with the brush handle in the dough to identify the bodies, process used by Caravaggio in other occasions.
A retelling of the life of the celebrated 17th-century painter through his paintings and his flirtations with the underworld was directed by Derek Jarman Caravaggio (1986).
- The Death of the Virgin (c.1601-6), by Caravaggio (1571-1610) (musiqdragonfly.wordpress.com)
- HAPPY 441st BIRTHDAY CARAVAGGIO born on September 29, 1571 in Caravaggio, Italy! (greatkat.wordpress.com)
- In Awe of Creation (twooldliberals.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday, Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio! (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Beauty (barnabyd.wordpress.com)